Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Friday, August 20, 2021

Zion I - The Search & the Seizure Mixtape (2008) / GoFundMe for the Gaines Family

 


 

So I felt like I pretty much had to share something from these guys... But what? Everything they've done is still pretty easy to get a hold of going back to their earliest tape EPs. Except...

I remember what really excited me about this digital mixtape was the closing track featuring an absolutely killer piece of sample work utilizing one of my favorite Muse tracks "Knights of Cydonia" (I'm not a Muse mega fan or whatever but that song is dope). However this mixtape, put out right before The Takeover (arguably the tail end of their golden era, although everything they've done since has been great as well) contains a great cast of rappers (K-Flay, Del, The Grouch etc.) and is a great example of that classic Zion I sound; melody driven D&B-y production with soulful thought provoking lyrics.

It's gone from their website, it's not featured on Bandcamp, but it's still up on his Dub CNN site which is where I believe I originally got it. They want me to direct downloads to them as opposed to sharing it myself, so go ahead and grab it right here. It's pretty ill I gotta say:

 

 Seize It!

 

So given that you've got the free goods, why not consider donating a bit to the Gaines families GoFundMe? Zumbi's passing left behind three young boys and it's a tough world out there especially lately. They're rapidly approaching their 150k goal but every little bit is I'm sure appreciated. Check that out right here.

Thanks as always for reading, see you guys next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment