Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Quote - Self Effacer (2013)

 


 

Just got back from vacation folks, still no time this week for one of my patented unnecessarily wordy reviews. But given I want to post something relatively quick and easy, and the very real love I have for this album and the artist behind it I figure why not do something a bit different.

So this is not really a fossil. It's more like a very rare species of frog that we only know of from a jawbone but is still to some degree extant in theory. You have almost certainly never heard this album although I guess it's possible you found it the same way I did.

Surfing Bandcamp one day I somehow stumbled onto music by the humble and unassuming musician Quote. I know he's humble and unassuming because after really connecting with the beauty contained here I reached out and he really is the nicest dude. He makes this music entirely by himself, playing everything live except some drum programming strictly for the love of it and will actually politely ask you not to pay for it, although I say if the spirit moves you he certainly deserves it.

Anyway, hailing from Victoria Island I believe, Quote (now known as Ueda Kurou although now may not be accurate because I don't think he's releasing music anymore) makes folk bluegrass hip hop a la Buck 65 but different enough to warrant it's own consideration.

It's emotionally vulnerable, achingly sad in places ("Call Me Out") and most of all defiant and honest. Some of the most personal music I've ever heard, and I constantly look for ways to share it with people although it's not for everyone.

Side note, the song "Man Down the Road" actually sparked my love of bluegrass back when I first heard this album. Still listen to that genre today.

Please enjoy, and consider paying a bit because if you do maybe he'll drop some new music soon!


DOWNLOAD (from Bandcamp)



No comments:

Post a Comment