Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

New Music: bRavenous - Ghosts Of Rockingham

 


Today's new music rec is bRavenous' "Ghosts of Rockingham" album!

I have been familiar with bRavenous' name for a while but I admit, I hadn't listened to a full project from him until last year's "Flaunting Imperfections." I'm not typically a fan of a lot of East Coast Canadian Hip Hop nor do I typically gravitate towards straight-forward boom-bap, so while I recognized bRavenous' general ability to rap - that album didn't really impress me.

Then last week, I see a new album from the man and while I was tempted to skip it, the multiple Ghettosocks features + the hermitofthewoods feature caught my eye. I threw it on in the background but was quickly drawn the entire sound of the project. While East Coast boom bap is still very much the theme, "Ghosts of Rockingham" has a much more soulful vibe than "Flaunting Imperfections," in both production and the rapping itself. I noted that bRavenous seemed to have much more control over his delivery and the song concepts hit a lot harder. bRavenous had more to say and had a much better instrumental backing to do it over. 

At 15-tracks, the album is a bit long by today's standards, but I enjoyed it all the way through. Peep it below!


Ghosts Of Rockingham

No comments:

Post a Comment