Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

"New" Music - Aesop Rock: Appleseed (reissue)

 


 

Well, fresh from my embarrassing mistake last time around, I'm back again for my week.  Nothing to do but move forward with dignity and a sense of humor. I can do one of those fairly easily.

Anyways, those of you praying he'd rerelease Music for Earthworms are probably at least somewhat happy to see this gem of an album is finally officially released (and it only disappoints me a little bit to see it's on Rhymesayers). Of course I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of you folks already have this on either CDr or digital or both (me, actually from a show in 2005 or so) but considering how classic it is I wanted to promote it a bit.

This was one of the first underground hip hop albums I ever heard. I didn't realize at the time that music like this existed, and it really allowed me to experience how evocative not just singular production from folks like Blockhead was, but complex and twisted lyricism. Not to mention weird voices.

I actually think Aesop was at his best doing these jazzy acoustic sounding albums. Labor Days was brilliant because in my opinion it built on the sound he established here while filling in the cracks with some electronic futuristic El-P / Downtown Science style synthetic instrumentation giving a perfect mix of mind bending and warm.

I loved this era of Aesop. He's always displayed such a visceral love of making music and he's clearly doing what he was born to do from the first raspy "APPLESEEEEEEEEED".

 

Anyway, this is now available on vinyl. Holy shit. Get that here. Or get it on 320 kbps mp3 right here.



4 comments:

  1. Odessa has always been, and still remains, one of my favourite piece of Hip Hop music. That instrumental is simply a masterpiece.
    Mek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that was my favorite track on the album when I first heard it for that exact reason. The beat is perfect, a great mix of samples.

      Delete
    2. Plus, in my opinion, Aesop Rock + Dose was one of the illest combo ever.
      Mek

      Delete
  2. I prefer Aesop meets Pete rock, it just flows better

    ReplyDelete