Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Mestizo - Unreleased Soul: Pieces to Grow (2006)

 


In my humble opinion, if you want smart, original hip hop that still knocks and truly represents the culture, you can't go wrong with Galapagos4. The influence these folks have had on indie rap, from Typical Cats to Offwhyte and Maxilla Blue (three flawless albums by the way) is undeniable, and the label continues to deliver mature and dope poetry up to the present day.

Mestizo had been a staple of their label for a while before joining up with Machina Muerte, releasing one of the labels dopest albums to date, Blindfaith with producer Mike Gao. There's so much to love about that one, and Mestizo has a large collection of music in that same vein.

Unreleased Soul: Pieces to Grow is just that. Unreleased tracks from him including some surprising and very welcome guest spots. Mestizo's laid back vocal delivery and conscious, spiritual musings are on point, and in my opinion his work from the early part of the millennium such as this collection represents something truly special.

Basically I enjoy the hell out of Mestizo's music, this album is difficult to locate and I don't feel like dissecting any recent releases. So you guys get two downloads this week. Sorry...


DOWNLOAD

 

6 comments:

  1. Yeah this sh!t is great! I'm surprised I haven't heard it before. Galapagos4 always with quality releases. I'm going to go bump this on a serious MTB ride through the forest. I was trying to find something new(to me) to peep and this will certainly get the job done. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you enjoyed it!

      And speaking of G4, Denizen Kane is actually one of my all times and he seriously needs to drop some new music. Dude is unreal.

      Delete
  2. I could never find this mestizo album: "Mestizo - You May Not Heard This" if someone has it I would be happy to share it with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got you. Hit me up on the email form to the right and scroll down.

      Delete
  3. some seriously talented artists on G4...offwhytes fifth sun,squints,bow to the sceptor my personal favourite releases from the label, and of all time, originality in its purest form,much underated IMO though i guess you could say they are estoreic, gotta mention the 1st typical cats album and bat meets blaine , sadly offwhytes last few albums have been as good as his bboying lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Propel Exact wasn't so bad... or was it? Unfortunately I can't remember a single thing about that album except that I'm almost sure I did listen to it, and that doesn't bode well for it at all.

      Delete