Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Buck 65 & Dose One - North American Adonis EP (1998)

 


 

With the release of King of Drums over here I am so totally excited about Buck 65 again. However, full disclosure I have not had time yet even to listen to the new album... So while I did want to post on that one, I also really want to digest it in a way that's fun and stress free for me because Buck's music and I go WAY back, to when I was a teenager making bad decisions with Square on my headphones. So I will not be reviewing it today, although I will say that I have been hearing VERY good things, so definitely consider buying it anyway if you haven't already.

So a lot of you probably forgot that Buck 65 actually released some music on anticon. I believe Man Overboard was his first and possibly only full length, but he did drop some songs for label compilations ("Pen Thief" and whatnot). A lot of you are probably TRYING (what's with me and capitalization today...) to forget that you used to really like anticon. because in this new and enlightened age we recognize some things that were / are a bit cringey about them as a crew.

Anyway the point is, at one point Buck 65 met Dose One, and they recorded an EP. It never dropped but was eventually leaked. Someone even designed some terrible album art for it and uploaded it to Discogs, but it is absolutely not official and I'm not going to perpetuate that vicious lie.

This album is not great. I can't really remember if it has any standout songs, it sort of comes across like a freestyle session with a single mic and tape recorder. I'm sure that was the story. However it's kind of cool for it's historic value, and like I said I'm in a Buck mood lately. I WILL (had to throw in one more capital word) be listening to King of Drums soon. You should probably listen to it too, but you can also download North American Adonis EP from your pals Dimxsk and Trylemma at UGF while you decide.


DOWNLOAD

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Track #7 "Titties & Car Parts" is an outright Buck 65 classic - it's in a similar vein to Buck's performance on "Leopold The Apostle" and "Making Love To Your Disk Drive". It's also one of the best things that Jel ever produced. I recorded a great quality version off of Time Travel back in 1999 & I'm still waiting for the full EP to surface in comparable quality. We just got a first generation rip of "Johnny Rockwell vs Henry Krinkle" on TIL.INFINITY, so anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Props for being an early listener to the show. We used to play The Buck / Dose EP from a cassette that Kevin got from Buck.
      Thanks, again.

      Delete
    2. I would say this album is a lot of fun to listen to. Still wouldn't call it great but it certainly deserves to be heard.

      Delete
  2. Awesome Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete