Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Friday, July 16, 2021

Audio Visual / Groundworks - Promo CD (2002)

 


 

My friends... I'm back after my computer decided to unexpectedly give up the ghost (actually while typing my Friday post last week). Trylemma stepped up with an awesome tribute to the late Gift of Gab though so thanks for that.

I was real excited about this one. I'm a bit of a collector of international hip hop, and one part of the world that's really interested me is Africa. Specifically the South African scene produces rap with mind boggling lyricism, often trippy electro dub step influenced production and pretty solid songwriting with catchy hooks. I first heard "((stereo(type))" by Groundworks on a release by the Chukchee and found it very novel and dope, the intricacies of the writing were notable and it just had a personality that I had never come into contact with before.

I'm not even going to pretend to know much about the folks involved in this. The guy who sent me this, who goes by subzzee was extremely knowledgeable and really really helpful, so big ups to him. But for the sake of ease I'm just linking the Discogs for these guys. Check it out for solid info.

I will give a nod to the late Ben Sharpa aka Kaptin aka Oh Kaptin My Kap'n, who passed away at an insanely young age back in 2018, as well as Hueman who died in 2004.


Anyway enjoy this little "business card" promo of South African rap.


DOWNLOAD

 

 Oh yeah, and I'm desperately searching for a download of the Groundworks full length album "Demolition: The MeStory" so if you got it...

1 comment: