Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

K.Clifton - Songs in the Key of Pessimism

 


 

Happy Tuesday, and what a Tuesday it is! Last go round I was complaining about the election, but now America has decided to rejoin the 21st century. Hooray for us! Now someone needs to sic the dogs on Donnie the Doofus so we can get some governing done, teach some folks the Webster definition of "justice" and hopefully not catch the plague.

 Anyways, as usual I was running out of time so no review this week, but I think I've got just the thing for a time of year when the leaves are dying and it's getting dark at weird hours...

Songs in the Key of Pessimism is a work by an artist who you've probably heard before, but maybe didn't know. K.Clifton (fka Quiz10 or Quiz) is a producer and rapper from the PNW who utilizes slower sample based tracks to instill a sense of quiet foreboding and vague uneasiness. His laid back and deep vocal style also adds to the dark quality of his music, and he's utilized it in a variety of ways and with a variety of different producers and emcees.

This particular album is fairly new, and for some reason is no longer available. I personally like it because it is I believe one of his last albums before he took the plunge into trap music as one member of Wrists. Not a bad group per se, but this album right here is a great demonstration of his transition between the Quiz sound and what he does now, and I think it's remarkably effective.

Lush, dark and disturbing. Just something to get you excited for a weekend indoors worrying about catching the plague and dying...

 

I've got some more darkness coming for your Friday fossil as well. Just that kind of week... This next one is for fans of Papervehicle and affiliated cats.


DOWNLOAD

 

6 comments:

  1. Dimxsk posting NW shit now?!?! Don't sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah dope, I've never seen this K.Clifton release. I was obsessed with his Quiz 10 years back and have about 4 or 5 of his solo releases plus the All Urban Outfield stuff with P.Wrecks. Do you have any of his Cheap Meat Suits or Demons In Disguise albums? I've been searching for them forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok so I have a few random Cheap Meat Suits and Demons in Disguise songs, neither of them full albums. Hit me up on the email form, I'll send them your way. And if anyone has the full versions please hit us up!

      Glad to see you guys like this one. One of my personal favorites of his.

      Delete
  3. Holy, love this guys stuff. Had no idea he even had anything outside of the one Quiz album and his witch house stuff. Guy is such an atmospheric rapper. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually got a number of solo records he's put out, mostly under the Quiz moniker. Email me if you want I'll put together something for you.

      Delete
    2. Dope man. I've managed to find a lot know. Didn't know he had much more stuff under the Quiz alias. I'll be in touch if I can't find anything. Cheers!

      Delete