Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Friday, February 15, 2019

10 Cent Depozit - 5$ Limit (2003)




Happy Friday, and I hope everyone had a great week.  Today I thought I'd go with something hopefully not many out there are familiar with. 5$ Limit is the debut album from a group that hailed from Michigan called 10 Cent Depozit, a reference to the value of aluminum cans in MI (see picture). The group consisted of MC's James Gwoove, Skin Graf, Slyder, and Fritzo. I don't know much about the others but I do know that Fritzo's done a lot for the indie rap culture. You can hear his voice on a few projects, notably "Fritzo Drop" on Matre's Courage Mixtape, and a verse on "Staring Problem" from the Epedos (JKC) album Stories from the Hole in My Head. Here's a video of him talking about his tour project Bring it Back, which traveled with the late Van's Warped Tour:




So, all that being said, I find this groups work hella fun to listen to. It's very much DIY garage indie rap, with sample based hard ass beats, dope rhymes, blazing turntable work and a passion for music that shows through as an infectious energy. No idea where I got this album TBH, but I love it and hopefully you will also. Check it below:

No comments:

Post a Comment