Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Friday, February 28, 2020

Randy - Left Overs (2001)





For today we have a mini-"album" from Jedi Knights Circle / Lip Service rapper Randy. According to the liner notes, Left Overs is a collection of songs that didn't make the cut for the alleged upcoming Not Quite Human, an album I've never seen let alone had the fortune to listen to. As far as I know it never materialized, making this effectively Randy's oldest collection of solo recordings available.

I like JKC a lot. It takes a light hearted spirit and sense of humor to appreciate what they do, they often edge a little close to corny with some of their group tracks but they all show technical skill and a drive to create something new. That said, if you find the nerdy Star Wars themes a bit too much, Lipservice and their members are a great middle ground, with a bit more serious songwriting while preserving the fun and good natured quirkiness some of us have come to love.

Enjoy Left Overs!


3 comments:

  1. Yo. I'm jonesin for my Wednesday ug fossil fix 😳

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yeah Trylemma's busy this week. I'll see what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks. I was hoping to find this here. Nice! The Solo Stuff by the JKC Guys is really something special. I really like "Aura". I love the voice and what I get from the lyrics. But the spacy stuff ignites suffers very little. With "The Shape Shifters" it is similar to me. But I'm sure I'll try it again. Maybe my English is just too bad!

    ReplyDelete