Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

News - R.I.P. Gajah / Acid Reign - Not Your Average Mixtape (2005)

 


 

This one hit me hard.  I had a few very brief interactions with this cat online and I can only say that he was a humble and kind individual with a gentle soul that shone through in every rhyme he wrote. What really struck me about him was how, given the insane level of technical skill he displayed on the mic, he still seemed so thrilled to hear when someone loved his work. One of a few people I've really gotten this vibe from. I don't know the details of his death but 42 is a ridiculous age to lose anyone. Such a fucking tragedy.

I've read a few very touching tributes to Gajah since his untimely passing was announced. This one from Uncommon Nasa was great. Personally when I needed to listen to some dope skills with a positive message and tripped out production it was hard not to immediately jump on this dudes music. The idea that he won't be around making more music, touching new fans and being a father is hard to accept. That's the best I can do on the subject, I didn't know him personally beyond a few messages on FB.

So how about we celebrate his legacy with a nice mixtape of Acid Reign tracks, some exclusive? I'm actually not sure why I never shared this before.

 


 

Enjoy Not Your Average Mixtape and take some time to think about how short life can be. Much love from myself and Trylemma to Gajah and the Navarrete family.


DOWNLOAD

 

 

7 comments:

  1. This is really horrible. I have probably listened to his "diveristy" a million times by now. Amazing skills and positive message is an accurate description.
    I feel sick right now. I really thought I'd be getting old while he would rap about it. The signs were there. Huge artistic output that never dissapointed. Humble caracter. Good soul. Enormous energy. His tape and CDRs are on the highest shelf so that my infant son can't reach them (yet). I always viewed his discography as my holy grail. I wish all the best to his family and loved ones. Love and respect, from România.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly put, thanks as always for your thoughtful comment. Totally agree

      Delete
  2. Ugh, was literally vibing to the Very Special People comp yesterday, on which Some Say is a standout (as is most of Acid Reign's group and solo material). Really tough news to hear, especially considering Gajah/Nickolas' age and family situation you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that song is amazing. It’s featured on this mixtape as well I think.

      Delete
  3. R.I.P Gajah. Love everything I've heard from the dude, with Acid Reign's 'Ready Yet?' and 'Time & Change' albums being well-played stand-outs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled across this post. I have some unreleased material that Gajah send me about 10 years ago. Some of it is stuff that's already existed but there's some things that That were new to me

    https://www.mediafire.com/file/knamalnzmkv/gajah_-_missleaneous.rar/file

    ReplyDelete