Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Friday, February 10, 2023

Breaking Ground: Paper Rose Haiku - Paper Rose Haiku

 


 

Damn, Trylemma is back with a bang. Trying to follow a thoughtful post like that last one is going to be a little bit difficult for reasons I will disclose later on. For the moment however, welcome to another edition of "Breaking Ground", our new project were-in we introduce each other to various oddball albums we might not have ever thought to check out before to either give us a new classic or cultivate an interesting post. For my first go at this Trylemma picked the debut self titled EP by Paper Rose Haiku.

So knowing fuck all about this artist I can't give much background. This is the emo-rap alter ego of an artist named Field Medic who normally does more folk type material. They seem to be from LA and apparently spend a lot of time "in the studio with Paper Rose". Lyrically this is an album covering topics of addiction, family, love and loss. It sheds a positive light on very dark times ("Heroes Journey" explores the belief in a just universe when suffering, for example) which makes the artist likable. It's relatable, genuine, and well executed by everyone involved. Paper Rose Haiku seems to be someone recovering from a drug problem and making deep and personal music to try and keep themselves sane and happy.

First I want to go into what I liked about it. I thought the production was very good, although being old I really am not a fan of that trap style percussion that this entire project relies on. I can deal on a song or two when it's used to break up monotony, or if it's a bit more subtle but I really would prefer drum breaks over this emphasis on high hats and claps. That said it's all very catchy, and balances effects with musicianship which this type of music often fails spectacularly at. These days with the caliber of equipment and software available it is very possible to make listenable music with absolutely zero talent as a musician. Especially this effects laden, "trippy" cloud rap. You can bury your off key notes in a haze of phaser and reverb and maybe everyone will be too busy relaxing to it to realize you totally suck. Anyway sorry to go there.

Yeah so the production is beautiful and stirring. The lyrics are relatable and strike a chord with me. The funny thing is how much this guy reminds me of myself in my early twenties. This was back when kratom was something only those of us who called ourselves psychonauts knew anything about. Back when Erowid was still a thing before Reddit. I told Trylemma that I was using that stuff before most people in the Western world knew what it was (we had to order it from specialty shops online), now people march on Washington to keep it available in gas stations... For the record I no longer use it, we're talking fifteen plus years ago. But anyway with some very real, era driven differences this is much like the music I would have, and at times did make back then.

HOWEVER. I actually think I might be allergic to auto-tune. No I'm not trying to make a point or be funny, I actually find auto-tune at this level impossible to enjoy. It sounds synthetic, robotic and abrasive. It is SUCH a shame how heavily it's utilized on this album, because like I said I like the production and I relate to the content and the guy can ACTUALLY sing so why the hell does he need to bury his vocals in mechanical whining? I really think if someone were to remake this album with minimal (maybe some here and there for effect) auto-tune and not as much of this trappy percussion I would really, really like this. Sort of an Otem Rellik crossed with OME with much less impressive lyricism than Mike. But judging by how young Paper Rose Haiku looks in his bio photos I think my main complaints with the album are just what rap is becoming these days, what the kids doing it now grew up listening to, and Trylemma is simply more tolerant than I am for some of these specific things.

All in all this was a lot of fun to do. Breaking Ground was a fresh idea, and UGF needed some fresh ideas and I'm very excited to see what other weird things have been lying under my feet just waiting to be discovered... And don't worry, we still offer downloads. I believe Trylemma's got your back on that next week!


Give Paper Rose Haiku a listen. It's funny doing this review and skimming it a second time I'm liking it more than I did before. Who knew?



No comments:

Post a Comment