Underground Fossils is run by Dimxsk and often by Trylemma, who is on a hip hop spiritual journey in the Himalayas and may not be back for a bit. Posts are every Friday, usually some quality old sh*t but sometimes promotional posts or "reviews". We do all we can to make sure we don't post stuff that (1) You can still reasonably buy from the artist directly, (2) You can reasonably buy secondhand for cheap, (3) You can download easily elsewhere, (4) The artist(s) asks us not to for any reason. Rips will include our own personal rips, old scene rips, and random web rips.

Friday, January 6, 2023

New Music: Andrre - Lac Noir EP

 


 

Well, I figured it's been a while since I did a review post and I managed to unearth an album I bet most of you (outside the Francophone world at least) were probably sleeping on, so here goes...

Andrre is one of my favorite rappers. He has one of the most interesting voices in indie rap, bursting with personality and subtle coolness. I always come away from an Andrre tune feeling like I just heard the unfortunate but ultimately uplifting life story of the Canadian badass sitting with me at the bar. I've never thought anyone could truly hate this guys music, he's just got so many perfect songs. Take "Big Jet Plane (Zoen Remix)", a gorgeous re-imagining of the Angus and Julia Stone tune. Or "The Fades", a Degiheugi produced, piano driven masterpiece that literally gives me chills every time I hear it. (I found out where the sample comes from, and it's truly unbelievable. One of the most genius uses of a sample I've ever heard.).

All that said, I realize that like me many of his English speaking listeners are probably not aware of his work with X-Ray Records and the resulting EP here. I stumbled onto it after really falling in love with Degiheugi's production (basically ever since hearing "Keeping the Memory Alive" which has one of my favorite beats of all time I believe) and I don't know if it was ever promoted to his hip hop listeners or posted to any Bandcamp account.

So let me be the first to break the great news! Lac Noir is the first Andrre release since the excellent 2019 EP Dichotomie out on French label Dora Dorovich, and for those of us in the know it's been a long wait. I don't have much to say about this little EP, mostly I was just excited to find it and share it with everyone who might have missed it. Most important to mention is that Andrre has moved away from rap driven tunes. This is essentially a collection of indie folk songs, but this Beatles / Radical Face-esque offering brings with it all of his emotional turmoil, playful innocence and fearless self exploration in the form of his poetry and melodies. It is very very good, while also very very short.

 

You can pick it up from iTunes, or stream the whole thing here on YouTube. I'm so used to linking to Bandcamp it feels incomplete not to, but I guess that's it. Hope everyone's staying out of this crazy weather!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment